Friday, October 30, 2009

Evasive Driving Course

In August I was treated to a tour and observation of the Evasive Driving Course.



That's me, getting ready to hop in the car for the demonstration. They waited until after I was strapped in to ask me if I get motion sickness.




















I really thought I was getting the star treatment until, without notice, the "bad guys" started shooting at my window with simunition, causing the driver to spin the car around 180 degrees and speed off in the opposite direction. (Simunition is simulated ammunition. It is similar to a paint ball except the "paint" is washable.)

Another maneuver the instructors demonstrated involved evacuating me from a "dead" car to a "live" one. The dead car first had to be pushed
out of harm's way by the live car.










Check out those simunition stains!







Next I rode with an instructor while he demonstrated a ramming technique that is used to move stationary cars out of the roadway.








Because the force of the impact can be stressful on the neck, I wore a protective helmet and neck brace. Safety first!

















The devices on these cars are used for training purposes. The rails and auxiliary bumpers allow Evasive Driving trainees to practice moving a car out of the roadway without ruining each car.

No comments:

Post a Comment